UHMPE has many names: Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene (UHMWPE or sometimes shortened to UHMW), also known as high-performance polyethylene (HPPE).
Manufacturers of ropes for boat use and general marine applications wax poetic and can only speak in superlatives when describing HMPE!
The characteristics of UHMWPE Rope
● UHMWPE Rope does NOT absorb water.
● HMPE feels very slippery to the hand.
● Dyneema® and Spectra® are not weakened when wet as nylon is.
● Has a density of as little as .95 and floats on Sea Water
● It is stong. It is twice as strong as hardened steel (per unit area)
● HMPE has a very low coefficient of friction. In this it is similar to Teflon which is very slippery.
● Great abrasion Resistance
● UHMW-PE is self-lubricating
● UHMW-PE has good UV resistance.
● Low Elasticity.